Re: Re: HYB: Selection Ratios

In a message dated 11/14/2000 10:58:33 PM Central Standard Time,
patriciabrooks@coupeville.net writes:

> line breeding vs. wide crosses.  The consensus seems
> to favor the former, but the latter interests me more.

The wider the cross, the more potential exists for true UGLY.  Speaking from
some experience . . . except for the amoena/plicata crosses I've mentioned
before, which I loved.

Patricia, let me pass on something Ben Hager once told me (in a letter, I
never met him in person.) When working with pinks, there must be pink in the
background of both parents for you to get a pink seedling.  Otherwise, you
will get whites and yellows in the first generation.  If you cross the
seedling back to pink, the pink can once again be expressed.  So don't be
surprised with anything that turns up from wide crosses.

I crossed IMMORTALITY X PARADISE and got varying shades of yellow, cream, and
white, with a couple of bit-tones thrown in there.  I believe it was this
cross that prompted the question I asked Ben.

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.