HYB: AB's - only the beginning?

Hi all,
Great to see the list fire up again, with some interesting topics to chew
on.
Yesterday all my christmases came at once. I had decided to spend the day at
TEMPO TWO (Barry Blyth's nursery) but my iris growing friend suggested that
we go and visit Sam Fankhauser, who is a top AB breeder in Australia.
Sam is in his mid 80's and has not been keeping good health lately. He has
decided to give many of his irises away, starting with his beloved AB's, for
fear that, if anything happens to him, they will just be composted, and
lost.
Well, I don't know a lot about AB's and had a collection of 7, up until
yesterday. My collection has now grown to 37, 14 of those being unregistered
seedlings which Sam saw fit to keep. I am in a bit of a daze - the
significance hasn't sunk in yet. I haven't even managed to plant them yet. I
feel extremely priveledged, and I can hardly bear to think of the time I
must wait until they bloom for me.
I am hoping to visit Sam again after Christmas, with a view to talking about
hybridising, and looking at photos. I shall spend a lot of time over the
holidays, re-reading the archives, and exploring Sharon's web page.
Meanwhile Mr. Fankhauser is going trout fishing. Hope he catches a big one!
Cheers, Jan Clark, Aus