Re: HYB: Selection Ratios

Thanks, Betty,

Your info and that passed on from Ben Hager will be very valuable to
my project.  It pushed me over the edge in my planning for next
year's purchases.  I will now plan to order only pinks, including
some pink-background or pink/rose-marked plicatas and glaciatas.  You
may have saved me years of discouragement!

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, storylade@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 11/14/2000 10:58:33 PM Central Standard Time,
> patriciabrooks@c... writes:
> > line breeding vs. wide crosses.  The consensus seems
> > to favor the former, but the latter interests me more.
> The wider the cross, the more potential exists for true UGLY.
Speaking from
> some experience . . . except for the amoena/plicata crosses I've
> before, which I loved.
> Patricia, let me pass on something Ben Hager once told me (in a
letter, I
> never met him in person.) When working with pinks, there must be
pink in the
> background of both parents for you to get a pink seedling.
Otherwise, you