OT_BIO

Hello I'm new here as of yesterday.  I'm not an avid gardener at present,  but love the iris's and intend to persue iris growing as a hobby.  My mother used to grow them and I thought they were gorgeous.  I live in South Dakota where the growing season is short,  and soil is black.
I do a lot of aquatic gardening and subscribe to aquatic plants digest,  theres not a lot of patience there,  I hope this place is different.  They dont like to clutter their digest with inexperienced growers there.  The thing I do like about their list is the ease of trading or buying plants from list members.  Is that something that is possible here?  I have not the faintest idea of how to go about getting bulbs and starting the hobby.  If people are willing to sell some bulbs to a beginner,  I would be interested in hearing from them.
When I lived in NC,  I had a friend bring a vase to work with an iris the size of a basketball,  it was the most gorgeous thing Id ever seen.  I look forward to learning from you.

Brad VanMeter

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/974470346/