Re: Re: CULT: Letting plant go to seed

Dear Folks, I don't think I agree with the idea that it doesn't matter to
that plant.. That rhizome that is supporting that  seed pod stalk is the same
rhizome that is giving birth (you can see where that word comes from - just
visited my newest great-grandson - 2 weeks old) -to the  future stalks for
next year, if it has increases -- and it needs energy to make these increases
successful -- or to promote increases if there are none.  Does that make
sense? Or not? Jump in and lets have opinions.
Also! Why bother to nurture a seedpod when you can make your own by
hybridizing two irises that you admire - Sometime in the past I heard
Sterling Innerst give a talk on  this - it was very convincing that it was a
waste of time, energy, and above all space, to  bother with seedpods.  Of
course, if you have acres and a gambling instinct, that is a good excuse.
There are always exceptions, but rarely is there a breakfthrough without
controlled parentage.  When I hear some of the "news" I think the human race
could learn a lesson about genes!  OOps!  - Love sort of enters into that
whirlpool, luckily we don;t have to worry about that affecting irises. I'd
better give up science and philosophy and do some housework! Ugh!  Rosalie nr
Baltimore        zone 7          ryfigge@aol.com

eGroups eLerts