CULT: Letting plant go to seed

In a message dated 11/20/00 7:36:49 AM Mountain Standard Time,
RYFigge@aol.com writes:

<< I don't think I agree with the idea that it doesn't matter to
 that plant.. That rhizome that is supporting that  seed pod stalk is the
same
 rhizome that is giving birth (you can see where that word comes from - just
 visited my newest great-grandson - 2 weeks old) -to the  future stalks for
 next year, if it has increases -- and it needs energy to make these
increases
 successful -- or to promote increases if there are none.  Does that make
 sense? Or not? Jump in and lets have opinions.

If the plant is strong and healthy, it can support a seed pod as well as
increases.  I've noticed, however, that weak plants are much less likely to
set pods and more apt to abort them.  In fact, I can't think of a single
example in which a pod matured but the plant proved to be a bloomout.

Here, the mother rhizome can remain firm and connected to the clump for years
-- a potential source of nourishment long after the daughter rhizomes are
living on their own.

In many arilbreds, the daughter rhizomes separate completely when they are
mature.  I've seen cases, with open growth habits, where a mother rhizome has
enough reserves left to support another "generation" of increases after the
first set has matured.

So, after decades of experiments, I decided to trust the plant.  I make the
cross.  If it takes, it takes.  If it doesn't, there may be many reasons. If
it takes but doesn't mature, I just chalk it up to the plant's instinct for
self-preservation and think "wait 'til next year".

Sharon McAllister

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/974739317/