Re: Re: CULT: Letting plant go to seed

Rosalie, I am on the side of those who say that setting seed pods doesn't hurt the clump.  Most blooming rhizomes have already made their increases, at least in my part of the world.  The new ones put down roots and are quickly on their own.  Two years ago I had four seed pods on one stalk, and the offspring all did well.  This year I couldn't get a single one on that variety though I must have tried a dozen times.  I blamed the extreme early heat we had.  I only managed to get one pod altogether.  Other pollen daubers in this area had much better luck by getting up before the birds.  I'm not a morning person, but next spring I hope to do my pollenizing by the light of the rising sun.
Francelle Edwards,  Glendale, AZ  zone 9
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RYFigge@aol.com
  To: iris-talk@egroups.com
  Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 7:35 AM
  Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Letting plant go to seed

  Dear Folks, I don't think I agree with the idea that it doesn't matter to
  that plant.. That rhizome that is supporting that  seed pod stalk is the same
  rhizome that is giving birth (you can see where that word comes from - just
  visited my newest great-grandson - 2 weeks old) -to the  future stalks for
  next year, if it has increases -- and it needs energy to make these increases
  successful -- or to promote increases if there are none.  Does that make
  sense? Or not? Jump in and lets have opinions.
  Also! Why bother to nurture a seedpod when you can make your own by
  hybridizing two irises that you admire - Sometime in the past I heard
  Sterling Innerst give a talk on  this - it was very convincing that it was a
  waste of time, energy, and above all space, to  bother with seedpods.  Of
  course, if you have acres and a gambling instinct, that is a good excuse.
  There are always exceptions, but rarely is there a breakfthrough without
  controlled parentage.  When I hear some of the "news" I think the human race
  could learn a lesson about genes!  OOps!  - Love sort of enters into that
  whirlpool, luckily we don;t have to worry about that affecting irises. I'd
  better give up science and philosophy and do some housework! Ugh!  Rosalie nr
  Baltimore        zone 7          ryfigge@aol.com

        eGroups Sponsor

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/974779446/