Re: CULT: deepening pink, recessives

   From Patrick Orr,
> Without studying genetics or iris pigments, I think it is possible to
> get a darker pink by crossing a pink to a reddish iris.  However, I
> believe since there is a lot of carotene in a reddish iris, and the
> carotene is often dominant to lycopene in the pink iris, I feel the
> majority of seedlings from a red X pink iris will be some shade of
> yellow.  Pink irises will be a very low percentage of the offspring if
> there are any at all.

     You may get several unexpected things too.  A case in point is
DANTE'S INFERNO.  It was a rebloomer cross containing Late
Lilac, Gibson Girl, Winter Rose, and Lunar Fire.  Basically, what is
involved here is a mix of pinkish, lavender, and yellow.  I was
shocked when three variegatas bloomed from the cross.  I doubted
the validity of the cross when the first variegata bloomed, but when
it was followed by two more, I gave into the genes and was
convinced the cross was true.

     Later down the road, one of the siblings of DANTE'S INFERNO,
was crossed with Summer Luxury, a white.  That gave birth to
PEACH REPRISE, a peach pink.

      My plic, ASCII ART, is out of two selfs.  With the color genes
so mixed up in modern hybrids, be prepared for the unexpected.
Recessives can fool you sometime and be a pleasant surprise.

     Walter Moores
     Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8