HYB: orange

Fred Kerr in CA wrote:
< Anyone out there with experience with orange? Just what is it? Yellow
< tangerine factor plus ...?

I was happily surprised to get orange seedlings from GOLDEN APPLE (an
older deep yellow/gold) X CRYSTAL GLITTERS (white with peach
shoulders).  I chose these two in part because of the fairly mixed up
pedigrees, hoping I might get some interesting expression of recessives,
but orange wasn't one of the things I had imagined.  In spite of Sharon
McAllisters best efforts to get me to figure out possibilities and their
various probabilities, I just thought, well those are nicely mixed up

As to what goes into making orange, I haven't a clue, other than pink
and yellow being involved someway or other.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8