Re: Re: CULT: Growing Japanese Irises in Pots?

> I saw here recently that some Japanese Irises have flowers as big as dinner
> plates.  That got me excited to plant some.  So last night I read my trusty
> Iris book and discovered that they need to grow in a bog or swamp type of

	I don't think they really need a swamp. I hope not or the ones I planted
this year won't be happy. They need more water then some other types but they
can live in normal garden beds. I think you will get bigger better plants
growing in a pond but it isn't an absolute requirement. What I did was build
the bed in the part of the yard that acts to channel all the rainwater to the
street. [I hope that makes sense. Basically the grade sends all the water
away from the house towards the bed] So the beds get extra water but it isn't
swampy. Not even damp most of the time. Other then the one plant that looks
like it needs iron the rest are happy. That's even though my soil isn't the

> conditions. I don't have that here in north Texas so was wondering if they
> can be grown successfully in pots.  Has anyone had good blooms that way?

	I'm also thinking of growing some in pots next year. The local nusery has a
pond section that had some Irises growing in pots [yellow flag I think not
japanese] They were huge. I still haven't decided what to make to hold the
pots. I figure with winter coming I can take the time to build something that
can hold the water and the pots.  My understanding is that pot culture works
just fine with Japanese irises. I'm fairly sure thats the way they get
handled by ponders.