Re: Re: CULT: Growing Japanese Irises in Pots?

>I don't think they really need a swamp. I hope not or the ones I >planted
>this year won't be happy. They need more water then some other >types but
>they can live in normal garden beds. ........<snip>......I'm >also thinking
>of growing some in pots next year.

On my visit to Sam Fankhauser's garden last week, I saw what to me seemed
like ideal growing conditions for J.I.'s
He grows his in 8" pots, in plastic 'ponds'.
These 'ponds' are constructed from timber, roughly 1" X 6" layed out to form
a box to fit about 4 pots wide, by 8 pots long, and they sit on the ground,
and are lined with heavy duty plastic, nailed all around the edges, to the
top of the timber. This is filled with water and topped up as needed.
He feeds the J.I.'s with old cow manure, added to the water, rather than to
the pots. His J.I.'s had not been transplanted for 3 years, due to his ill
health, so they were getting rather pot bound, but they were blooming
I was so impressed that I intend to build such a unit as soon as we shift
house. I have only 2 JI's at present, but will need another 30 to fill my
pond :-)
Cheers, Jan Clark