Re: HYB: orange

Sharon McAllister (teacher of iris hybridizing 'classes', to be found in
the archives) said:
<Dr. Werckmeister described these as plastids within the cell wall of
epidermal layer >

Probably ought to go read my homework assignment before asking this, but
I don't want to clutter my brain with facts first <g>:
What does this theory of carotene pigments in the plastids say about how
much pigment can be there?  Do plastids come in different sizes, making
it possible to have more pigment by having more or bigger plastids?  Or
are the color differences (differences in color intensity/depth/darkness
or whatever we are calling it) thought to be due to the presence of
different pigments?  Or both?

Is anybody actively involved in research concerning pigments in irises
(other than the much rumored geranium red being nuked into the
iris..which raises yet another question - where will this geranium
pigment show up?  In cell wall plastids, cell sap, little bits of
plastic confetti inside the cell sap?)

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8