Oranges , like reds and browns usually involve a mix of catenoids(either
yellow or tangerine)with various degrees of violet (anthrocins). the tangerine
factor appears to be partially recessive (speculation)rather then completely
recessive. This means that it continues to influence the colour of the yellow.
I say this as I have been pulling pink out of yellow by carefully looking at
the plant (in light of pedigree) and speculating on its genetics. This has
proven to work for me. Thus a yellow that has 3 tangerine genes will still be
yellow, the shade of yellow will be distinctly (sometimes subtally) different
from a yellow with no tangerine genes.
Violet overlays on yellow and tangerine result in the reds, browns and
oranges. I suspect that the redish or orangish yellows can be yellows with 3
tangerine genes. Oranges can also be yellow with a light overlay of violet or
tangerine(pink appeareance) with an overlay of light violet. As the violet
becomes darker you start to get browns, then cerise (usually over tangerine
eg:Lady Friend, Mulled Wine) or reds. Variagatas are good plants to look at to
understand this. The standards show the base colour and the falls show what
the colour looks like when the violet is added. Of course the shade of yellow
(or tangerine) also contribute to the final colour. What you have to keep in
mind is that you are mixing two colours (yellow (or tangerine) and violet) to
produce a new colour and the colours you choose (mother nature eg random
chance  also plays its role here) and amount of pigment results in different

eGroups eLerts