Re: HYB: orange, pigments

<unsigned> said:
<Thus a yellow that has 3 tangerine genes will still be
             yellow, the shade of yellow will be distinctly (sometimes
subtley) different
             from a yellow with no tangerine genes. >

Can somebody give an example of a TB that has this (i.e., a yellow bloom
known to have 3 tangerine genes) plus a picture somewhere to look at
either on line or in a recent Cooley or Schriener catalog?  And a yellow
without the tangerine genes for comparison?

Also (having read the chapter in TWOI for background for Sharon M's
latest homework assignment), I see there are thought to be three
separate (independent) genes that can give yellow color.  Do those three
types of yellows look any different, either with or without combination
with these other things (e.g., violet for orange, tangerine, other
pigments?).  If all three are present does the color look any different
than if just one or two are present?

And a bunch more questions resulting from all that wonderfully techical
stuff!  Like, for example, what the heck colors are all of these
pigments?  They got so wrapped up in explanations of chemical makeup,
biosynthesis, and interactions, they didn't always remember to say what
color they are by themselves.  Plus I have a bit of a disconnect between
the table showing all the different pigment types found in the irises
sampled and the chapter describing the pigments.  They don't seem to
match up.

Sharon, for myself and those who don't have TWOI (The World of Iris),
I'm going to try to make a little table of which pigments are in which
color classes to start off my homework assignment and post it here.  I
figure none of us really needs to know any of this stuff to start
hybridizing, but like they say, knowledge is power & it adds to the iris
fun during times of the year when some of us deprived geeks have no iris
in bloom.

Based on what I've read and what's been said, it sounds like my orange
GOLDEN APPLE X CRYSTAL GLITTERS seedlings probably combined yellow from
GA with tangerine from CG; but if it needed violet to be orange, where
did that come from?  Recessive violet???  Or ...aha, supression of the
violet in one or the other of the parents, that didn't get picked up by
all the seedlings....  Sooo, does that mean there are some plicata genes
in there somewhere?  Most of the seedlings were yellow, some had
orange/red/tangerine (I didn't pay that close attention) beards, a few
were orange with redder beards.  Ok, Sharon, tear that apart for me <g>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/974990701/