Re: Re: CULT: Growing Japanese Irises in Pots?

Hi Jan and All,
Jan, it sounds like Sam Frankhauser's garden was a varitable treasure trove.
How lucky , you were to recieve lots of gems to add to your collection.
My JIs live in the damp part of the garden, well actually where ever I can
get the hoses to the most as they do like to drink a lot of water in their
growing season. They say that they do not like it wet in winter, but our
rainfall, extreme as it is when it is a normal season, does not seem to
bother them. They do need to be moved every three years or so as they are
greedy feeders and like fresh soil, other wise their bloom is smaller in
size and amount. They love my abundant cow manure fertiliser, I only have to
drop it over the fence, as there is plenty of that stuff around
here.....However they almost suffered a near death experince this year as my
Mum , who was staying for a few days, decided to help me fertilise the
garden and used the wrong stuff, blood/bone etc...this can be fatal, but
luckily I stopped her before she got too serious. Now she knows what all the
different types of fertiliser are for....If you , or any other Aussies on
the list would like any pieces of my JI's when they have finished blooming
please let me know, as they need lifting this year, as does everything else
and there are only so many of one plant that you can have. Blooming at the
moment is Peacock Dance, Silken Parasol and Summer Storm, lots of buds on
lots of others....Peacock Dance is very eye catching and has enormous blooms
this year, must like this years site...I will search through my JI list and
let you all know what varieties I have, all their names escape me at the
moment as does the location of the list. Having a bad memory day today....I
do have quite a few in very large pots too. They do well but need a large
saucer underneath the pots to hold the water in. I find that potted JIs need
new pots nearly every year as the soil/potting mix looses its oomph
quickly.By the way JIs are also pretty drought hardy, they handled our dry
conditions pretty well for the last few years. All that happened was that
the bloom was not as abundant. Hope this is of some interest...Regards,
Wendy Sargeant  in Sunny Australia Zone 8ish who has sore arms from digging
in new beds and planting lots of TBs....Like a nursery here, lots of boxes
and packing pieces everywhere, goody goody goody...P.S. Collen, your plants
that I bought are doing really well, except for Ixit which the cat keeps
sitting on, hope it enjoys being squashed:)