Re: Re: HYB:Deepening Pink

As a recreational pollen dauber, I have been very interested in the discussion of hybridizing pinks.  I am still getting aquatinted with terms like lycopene and carotene and probably wouldn't know one if I saw it.  In my first pollenizing attempt three years ago, I crossed Pink Lenox (white delicately shaded orchid) with Celebration Song (peach/lavender) among those seedlings which bloomed last spring I have the brightest orchid I have ever seen.  The pigment seemed to combine pink and blue in such a proportion that it appeared more pink in the sun, more blue in the shade.  Of course, I will have to grow it a few years to see of the color is consistent and if the bud count will increase, but I couldn't help being excited about its color which I think is rare.
Francelle Edwards  Glendale, Az
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: rainacre@aol.com
  To: iris-talk@egroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 8:00 AM
  Subject: [iris-talk] Re: HYB:Deepening Pink

  Virtually all tangerine bearded reds came from red x pink breeding. Old
  favorite Lady Friend was one of the first and King's Ruby was another. A
  cross of King's Ruby with Role Model gave a wonderful array of colors from
  ruby red through tannish pinks, but nothing that would suggest a darker pink.
  Deepening pink by crossing to dark yellows has not proven useful to me.
  Although the segregation in the F2 give dark yellows, the pink sibs are not
  especially dark. Crossing to orange or perhaps gold might be a way to go.
  Anyone out there with experience with orange? Just what is it? Yellow plus
  tangerine factor plus ...?
  Fred Kerr
  CA zone 9

        eGroups Sponsor