Re: Re: CULT: Growing Japanese Irises in Pots?

On November 22, 2000 05:19 pm, you wrote:

> On my visit to Sam Fankhauser's garden last week, I saw what to me seemed
> like ideal growing conditions for J.I.'s
> He grows his in 8" pots, in plastic 'ponds'.
> These 'ponds' are constructed from timber, roughly 1" X 6" layed out to
> form a box to fit about 4 pots wide, by 8 pots long, and they sit on the

	This sounds similar to what I was thinking. Well bigger then what I was
thinking but the idea is similar. I've also considered the big plastic
utility tubs they sell.  I figure they are big enough for one or two pots
with some water or I could use them as pots. Without drainage holes the soil
should stay fairly moist. The tubs are big enough to create a fair size patch.

> ground, and are lined with heavy duty plastic, nailed all around the edges,
> to the top of the timber. This is filled with water and topped up as
> needed. He feeds the J.I.'s with old cow manure, added to the water, rather

	I've seen references ranging from having the water 2-3" deep to having the
water 3" above the pots. I guess less is okay but is the deeper water okay?

	Nick

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/975075900/