Re: Re: CULT: Growing Japanese Irises in Pots?

On November 22, 2000 05:39 pm, you wrote:
> Hello Talkers:
> Regarding growing Japanese Irises, Clarence Mahan (Pres. of the American
> Iris Scoeity and a scholar of some considerable repute) has written a paper
> on "Iris Myths," in which he stresses that Japanese irises need to be grown
> either in pots or dug up and relocated every three years or so.  This is
> due to the tendency of I. ensata to emit a substance that is toxic to
> itself.  The toxic substance can be leached out if the plants are grown
> either in pots or at the edge of a water source.  Interesting.

	I know plants like black walnut put out chemicals to make life tougher on
other plants but you're saying the irises poison themselves? What is the
natural home for Japanese Irises? I thought it was meadows. They might get
flooded during the spring but what you're saying is they only grow near
streams etc?