Re: Re: CULT: Growing Japanese Irises in Pots?

> On November 22, 2000 05:39 pm, you wrote:
> > Hello Talkers:
> >
> > Regarding growing Japanese Irises, Clarence Mahan (Pres. of the
American
> > Iris Scoeity and a scholar of some considerable repute) has written a
paper
> > on "Iris Myths," in which he stresses that Japanese irises need to be
grown
> > either in pots or dug up and relocated every three years or so.  This
is
> > due to the tendency of I. ensata to emit a substance that is toxic to
> > itself.  The toxic substance can be leached out if the plants are grown
> > either in pots or at the edge of a water source.  Interesting.
>
> 	I know plants like black walnut put out chemicals to make life tougher
on
> other plants but you're saying the irises poison themselves? What is the
> natural home for Japanese Irises? I thought it was meadows. They might
get
> flooded during the spring but what you're saying is they only grow near
> streams etc?
>
> Nick

 One half of my iris are growing in the drip line or very close to it of a
black walnut tree. I have had no problems that I know of. The tree is just
over the fence line. The tree seems to be growing better since I planted
iris there.  Trunk about 18" at base.

Mike Greenfield
redear@infinet.com
SW Ohio Zone 5b