CULT: deepening pink, recessives

 Message: 5
>    Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:55:49 -0600
>    From: wmoores@watervalley.net
> Subject: Re: CULT: deepening pink, recessives
>
>    From Patrick Orr,
> >
> > Without studying genetics or iris pigments, I think it is possible to
> > get a darker pink by crossing a pink to a reddish iris.  However, I
> > believe since there is a lot of carotene in a reddish iris, and the
> > carotene is often dominant to lycopene in the pink iris, I feel the
> > majority of seedlings from a red X pink iris will be some shade of
> > yellow.  Pink irises will be a very low percentage of the offspring if
> > there are any at all.
>
>      You may get several unexpected things too.  A case in point is
> DANTE'S INFERNO.  It was a rebloomer cross containing Late
> Lilac, Gibson Girl, Winter Rose, and Lunar Fire.  Basically, what is
> involved here is a mix of pinkish, lavender, and yellow.  I was
> shocked when three variegatas bloomed from the cross.  I doubted
> the validity of the cross when the first variegata bloomed, but when
> it was followed by two more, I gave into the genes and was
> convinced the cross was true.
>
>      Later down the road, one of the siblings of DANTE'S INFERNO,
> was crossed with Summer Luxury, a white.  That gave birth to
> PEACH REPRISE, a peach pink.
>
>       My plic, ASCII ART, is out of two selfs.  With the color genes
> so mixed up in modern hybrids, be prepared for the unexpected.
> Recessives can fool you sometime and be a pleasant surprise.
>
>      Walter Moores
>      Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

*****************
Another report has been sent to me privately regarding this that I thought
might be of some interest:

"A few years ago I made a cross between a red and a pink...  What I got was
amazing ..., it seemed that I got all selfs, but in just about every color
of the rainbow.  I didn't have a tremendous number of seedlings, maybe only
25 or so, but it seemed they were all different in color/shade and all
selfs.  ...there were pink selfs, not darker than the pink parent, but I did
get a couple of pink selfs."

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9

eGroups eLerts