Re: Re: HYB: more pink

In a message dated 11/25/00 11:18:33 AM Mountain Standard Time, Fred Kerr
writes:

<< Just a little more grist for the pink theorists: 1) when the tangerine
factor
 is present in two doses in diploids, the plants are not pink. Anybody know
 what happens when it is present in three doses in triploids? 2) what about
 pink and yellow blends like Black Hills Gold in which there are yellow areas
 and pink areas on the same petal. Surely all the cells are four dose (or are
 they?) genotypes and should be pink.

I have grown two pinks from a diploid x tetraploid cross, which behave as
triploids but were not counted.  IMO, this varying expression lends support
to the theory that the tangerine factor is not a single, simple gene.

The yellow areas and pink areas on the same petal strike me as a pattern
effect, not strictly related to color.  Just as we have pink-ground plicatas
and bi-colors.

<<
 The relationship between anthocyanins and carotinoid pigments is easily over
 simplified. While brown and red may be the result of an interaction of the
 two classes of pigments, they are not the only result.  Two sibling
varieties
 Kevin's Theme and Cosmic Wave differ only in presence of carotinoids in KT
 and the lack in of carotinoids in CW. In CW the anthocyanin  expresses as
 blue, but in KT it expresses as blue violet. The wonder of their parent
Edith
 Wolford is that the interaction appears to not take place and the falls are
 blue in spite of the fact that yellow is theoretically present in the falls.

I agree.  It's always tempting to oversimply the discussion of pigments, and
in this case we completely ignored any co-factors.

<<
 Please take Dr. Werckmeister with a grain of salt. His mechanistic
 explanations of genetics are often a stretch e.g. the notion that whites
with
 a pulp leaf base have a filter of some sort at the base of the flower that
 prevents purple coloring getting to the flower. Or how about the idea that a
 cross between a pure dominant and a pure recessive will occasionally produce
 a seedling in which has somehow gotten four doses of the recessive gene.

Ahhh....  But that is NOT what Dr. Werckmeister said.  We must be very, VERY
cautious when dealing with translations because we often get a layman's
interpretation.

In one case, Werckmeister cited seedlings which could only be explained under
the single-gene theory IF they had somehow managed to inherit four doses of
the recessive gene from such a cross.  This was provided as a
counter-example, and illustration of an otherwise inexplicable condition that
his dual-pathway model could handle.

How deeply do we want to go into this?

Sharon McAllister

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/975179418/