HYB: red-pink blends

In a message dated 11/26/00 11:12:02 AM Mountain Standard Time, Free Kerr
writes:

<<
 I agree that yellow and pink in the same petal represents a pattern (which I
 call "blend" and is not to be confused with blended colors), but the fact
 remains that here are yellow and pink cells adjacent to each other. Throw
 into the mix that these yellow-pinks have yellow beards.

Or, in arilbreds, a yellow-tipped-tangerine beard.

But you've brought up a very important point regarding patterns -- the lack
of a standard nomenclature that relates genetic traits to appearance.  I've
called this particular pattern "pixelated" because the areas are quite
distinct and I think of a blend as a gradual change in colors.  For example,
a burgundy wash that is most intense near the beard and thins toward the edge
results in a gradual blend from burgundy through rust to yellow.

A couple more examples....

Once-upon-a-time, "amoena" meant simply having white standards and purple
falls.  Then came the "yellow amoena".  That's a very convenient term because
it clearly tells people what to expect so it has become part of our
vocabulary.  The genetics behind white/yellow are very different from those
of white/purple, however, so it's use may actually confuse rather than help
those just starting to work with such lines.

Similarly, it's tempting to call anything with stitching around the edge a
"plicata" even if the pigment is not one that is controlled by the plicata
allele.  "Pseudoplicata" is the best term I've been able to come up with for
those that have a plicata-like pattern but are not genetically plicatas.
I'll be the first to admit that the genetics behind this pattern are far from
well-defined -- and I even suspect that there are different genetic
combinations that produce the same affect.

Pigments are complicated but well-studied, so relatively easy to understand.

Patterns are not only evolving but sometimes somewhat subjective.  To me,
that's where both the challenge and the fun are to be found -- so I suspect
this discussion is going to turn rather quickly from pigments to patterns.

Sharon McAllister

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/975264513/