RE:HYB:patterns

Thanks Sharon for your helpful reports re pigments etc. I find when choosing
parents I look closely at the plant to see what factors, pgment and pattern
that are present and speculate as to how they will combine. There are all the
plicata variations which contribute as to how pigments are distributed,
stippled, dotted, veined, broken color, luminata, and glaciata. As well there
are the repression of violets, the supression of the yellows(and tangerine)and
combinations such as variagatas and reverse variagata (color on standards but
not on the falls).Each of these contribute to the final pattern abd color.
Edith Wolfond is a reverse yellow bicolor combined with bitoned blue. The
reverse yellow gives the yellow pigment in the standards but not in the falls.
The regular variagata (or neglecta if you wish)gives violet (Blue with
copigments) in the falls but not in standards. Combine these and voila yellow
standards and blue falls. I'm playing with the reverse yellows to produce some
interesting combinations. You could replace the yellow in EW with tangerine
and get a plant with pink standards and blue falls.
There are also the rim factor with yellow and with violet. If both of these
were combined in the same plant you would get a mix of rim colors with red (or
brown) with another rim of either yellow or violet, depending on which is
wider. (some of these on the drawing board as well).
There is also the distribution with the yellows and violets with the edge not
having the colors. These again can be combined in different ways with all of
the above.
The halo effect seems only to be present with the yellow/tangerine pigments.
This is what you see in Bride's Halo and the ilk. Different then  the rim
factor, much narrower.
I have combined the yellow rim factor with luminata genes with sdb and now
have a whole series of plants with wide yellow rims with violet luminata
centers. Quite striking. I also have some plicata SDB with yellow halo, which
may be different then the halo seen with Bride's Halo. These have a wire thin
rim of intense yellow. I'm not exactly sure of what it is, but very different.
Some of the first of these had poor form. I now have one with an acceptable
(but not great)form that is being considered for introduction. Remember, break
down your plants into their component genetics (parts) and then look to what
recombinations will look like. Consider patterns as well as pigments. There
are a lot of combinations yet to be made.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/975274523/