Re: CULT: Growing Japanese Irises in Pots?

Tom,

I'm just north of you in Denton County.  Not too many folks around here grow JIs.  It's just too darned hot when they get around to blooming, and our alkaline soil is not the best.  I
too, thought pots would be the way to go, but so far I'm not impressed.  I do have one cultivar that blooms OK for me, both in the garden and in a pot. Unfortunitely I don't know the
cultivar name.

An option is to grow Louisiana irises.  They are suited to our climate and some can compete with JIs in bloom size.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Rodney

> I saw here recently that some Japanese Irises have flowers as big as dinner
> plates.  That got me excited to plant some.  So last night I read my trusty Iris
> book and discovered that they need to grow in a bog or swamp type of conditions.
> I don't have that here in north Texas so was wondering if they can be grown
> successfully in pots.  Has anyone had good blooms that way?  Also where is a
> good source for purchasing some of them?  I really like the looks of those that
> are all white and have the large round falls.  They look like giant gardenias.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom, near Dallas, TX USA zone 7.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/975352509/