Re: HYB: Assorted matters

In a message dated 11/27/2000 1:41:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
iris-talk@egroups.com writes:

> >Edith Wolford is a reverse yellow bicolor combined with bitoned blue.
> This is an interesting analysis of Edith Wolford and while the pattern
> could be developed using a reverse yellow amoena and a dominant blue
> amoena, I don't believe the parentage of EW indicates that this is the
> case. Paul Cook early on noted the apparent alteration of the effect yellow
> pigment has when combined with blue when the dominant amoena gene is in
> play.
> If I understand you, you are equating the yellow ring pattern (yellow
> standards, falls white with yellow rim) with reverse yellow amoena. I do
> not see any evidence of the ring in EW nor in several hundred seedlings
> from EW breeding.
> The yellow halo effect of Bride's Halo and Amazon Bride does indeed seem
> different from the ring pattern. Doubtless this pattern can exist as pink

>As with other hybridizers who have worked at breeding irises for
many years, some of her breeding lines became highly inbred and tended to
lose vigor.

See "Natural Selection in the Seedling Patch" March 2001 issue of Tall Talk
for an extended examination of this phenomenon.

>Can you give us examples of both pink and yellow on petals, with
yellow beards?

An oldie but goodie is Black Hills Gold more recent is Ghio's Lanai. For
those interested in deepening pink coloring, La Valse (Hager) might be worth
a try. It has a slight amount of anthocyanin which darkens the visual effect
of the pink. When crossed to Haute Couture it gave an array of "different"
shades of pink.