Re: HYB: Pigments 101

In a message dated 11/27/00 5:38:17 PM Mountain Standard Time, Donald Eaves
writes:

<<
 If a novice can get simplistic here, would I be able to apply via a chart,
 say back
 to the great-grandparents, by plugging in the apparent expression of the
 pigments
 and note the possible pigments perhaps unexpressed and use it to determine
 at least some of could be expected, or predicted, using the end result as a
 parent?  Obviously with another matching chart for the other proposed
 parent.  And is it feasible to extend these to patterns, heights (say if a
 grandparent TB X dwarf species) and track what appears to been expressed
 down through several generations?  Can one extrapolate by such Checklist
 digging traits that appear more or less dominant and those that are only
 likely to appear when both parents exhibit the trait or can be determined to
 have likely inherited it and are merely carriers?

 Lots of Checklist reading here, I think.  With even more digging, could you
 check listings for progeny of the cultivars proposed as parents and further
 check progeny of parents, grandparents etc and perhaps determine that
 some traits are not likely to carried at all and thus narrow what might be
 expected even further.

Certainly.  I've spent many long, winter nights doing just this.

I start with a traditional 4- or 5-generation chart, with the name or number
of each ancestor on top of the line.  Underneath the line, I add my
descriptive notes.

Most experienced hybridizers would say that this isn't necessary for dominant
traits -- but I found it to be a useful exercise because I learned to more
readily spot dominant patterns in charts I later anlyzed.

It's quite useful in dealing with recessives, especially if some of the
ancestors are seedlings for which no description is available.

It's also the most effective means I've found of spotting interactions that
need further analysis.

Sharon McAllister

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/975378114/