HYB: glaciatas

Hi, iris-talkers,

I thought I'd share some of the information in a letter I just
received from Keith Keppel, to whom I was referred by Terry Aitken
with my questions about glaciatas.  I understand Mr. Keppel may be
writing an article on this for a future AIS bulletin.

"Glaciatas.  They are TOTALLY devoid of anthocyanin pigments -- the
water-soluble pigments which account for the blues, lavenders,
violets, purples, orchid pinks of talls, and in combination with
carotene pigments necessary for 'reds' and 'browns'.  This means they
can occur in white, yellow, pink, apricot, orange, etc., either as
selfs (usually) or with darker hafts or shoulders, or theoretically
as amoenas (I've not yet seen this), or white patches in the falls,
etc.  But not being able to form the water-soluble (anthocyanin)
pigments, the colors are very clear--no greying.  And the hafts are
completely missing any haft marks, stripes, dots, suffusion of brown,
etc.  Once you've seen a few glaciatas and torn them apart, you'll
get the drift of what they look like...and can identify them even if
you don't know their breeding."

He mentions a few glaciatas:  BURNING BRIGHT, CLASSMATE, and ANSWERED
PRAYERS.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8

eLerts