Re: HYB: Pigments 101

In a message dated 11/28/00 6:12:21 PM Mountain Standard Time,
storylade@aol.com writes:

 Clarification . . .you are saying that, with two pink parents, a seedling
 won't/can't ''throw-back" to another color? yellow? >>

In this deliberately simplified, hypothetical case, we were looking only at
the T/t factor that describes the conversion to lycopene.  This model says
that at least one dose of the T-factor is needed to produce yellow.  Because
a pink is tttt, it has no T  to pass on and crossing two of them can produce
only more tttt types.  Pinks, but no yellows.

Back in the real world, of course, the situation can be somewhat more

Suppose we cross two pinks that aren't glaciatas but pink because of the
presence of the anthocyanin inhibitor.  Our earlier T/t factor analysis is
still valid, but because this inhibitor is dominant we can't assume that
either chosen parent is homozygous I.

Soooo....    If some of those tttt-type seedlings also turn out to be
iiii-type, their pink expression will be shaded [at best]  or overwhelmed [at
worst] by the red/blue/violet pigments that had been suppressed in both

Still trying to keep things relatively simple by ignoring the

Sharon McAllister

eGroups eLerts