Re: HYB: glaciatas

In a message dated 11/28/2000 3:49:30 PM Central Standard Time,
patriciabrooks@coupeville.net writes:

> "Glaciatas.  They are TOTALLY devoid of anthocyanin pigments -- the
>  water-soluble pigments which account for the blues, lavenders,
>  violets, purples, orchid pinks of talls, and in combination with
>  carotene pigments necessary for 'reds' and 'browns'.

What if you took and crossed say a wine colored iris onto the "Glaciatas"?
Then to say an orange or pink iris sibs from this cross sibs. Seems to me if
you are void of all colors above you would now have a better means of getting
a red. I may be wrong but I would think you are now dealing with more pure
color than before now you are picking colors you wish to use. Of course there
would be a lot of work involved for you want to use parents that are as pure
or without other colors interfering in the mix you wish to use. Iknow this is
asking a lot. A person may even have to go back generations to find iris that
have little or no interference. But seems to me this would be the way to go
for a red.

Jim Loveland, Fenton, MO   Zone 5

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/975463148/