New to Iris-TalK

Dear Irisarians--what an energetic group you are!  I belong to several other egroup lists and they are desultory at best. Perforce, I will learn a lot by lurking through your messages, and occasionally asking a novice-type question.

I have been gardening for about six years and have become an avid gardener.  My gardening is confined to "landscaping" my yard, which is on a terraced incline and shaded by four very large oak trees.  When I bought this property , there was a bed of tall bearded irises (in one of the few sunny spots) that survived about four years of total neglect, thus earning my respect.  I don't know the cultivar name but would like to be able to properly label them.  Last Spring, I was given some walking iris starts (neomarica gracilis, trimezia martinicensis), and this Fall, I was given some pardanthopsis d. seeds and now have some healthy seedlings.  About a month ago, I planted some dutch iris bulbs and they are now sending up shoots.  This is the full extent of my experience with the Iris family, and I would like to learn more about the cultural needs of these plants, and would also like to learn more about those Irids that would adapt well to the central Texas landscape.  It seems that I've come to the right place!
Happy gardening--Theresa Massey

Austin, TX. Zone 8-b; 15-110 F; normal annual rainfall 30"

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/975465911/