Re: HYB: Pigments 101

>Suppose we cross two pinks that aren't glaciatas but pink because of
the
              presence of the anthocyanin inhibitor.  Our earlier T/t
factor analysis is
              still valid, but because this inhibitor is dominant we
can't assume that
              either chosen parent is homozygous I.

              Soooo....    If some of those tttt-type seedlings also
turn out to be
              iiii-type, their pink expression will be shaded [at best]
or overwhelmed [at
              worst] by the red/blue/violet pigments that had been
suppressed in both
              parents.>

So instead of pink, you get orange!

I went over the pedigrees for my GOLDEN APPLE X CRYSTAL GLITTERS
seedlings again & am now wondering if GOLDEN APPLE is really what I
have.  Guess I better order from a 'reliable source' - this came from a
local club sale, & since it's oldish, there's a good chance of it being
mislabeled.  The R&I for GA says it's lemon yellow - I think of lemon
yellow as being on the greenish side, but my GA is more of a deep butter
yellow.  Anybody familiar with the 'real' GA?

Anyway, if it really is GA, this is what I came up with from the
pedigree analysis:

CG's papa was seedling K-711-2, a child of two reds (INFERNO X
BRIMSTONE, both from red parents), thus providing the blue/violet
pigment to 1/4 of my seedlings (hence orange), but CG doesn't have any
blue/violet pigments showing.  INFERNO & BRIMSTONE go back as far as I
checked to red ancestors, with no hint of blue/violet inhibitors.

CG's mama was seedling K 814-A, a child of two yellows with white
centers to the falls (MOON GLIMMER X GOLD TRIMMINGS).  Both of these go
back to nothing but yellows (no blue pigments) as far back as I checked,
sometimes with a white wash in the falls.

Since CG is mostly peach/cream/white with darker shoulders, does this
mean that
1) the inhibitor of blue/violet is dominant and was contributed by
K814-A? (in other words, if I go back far enough in the K-814-A family
tree I will probably find some blue parents of yellow children?)
2) there are two inhibitors present - one for the center of the falls
that inhibits yellows and one for the whole flower that inhibits
blue/violets and that both are dominant??
3) my yellow seedlings have the inhibitor for blue/violet for the whole
flower and my orange ones don't, but none of them have the yellow
inhibitor for the center of the falls?
4) if I cross my orange seedlings back with CG, I might get some orange
seedlings with white centers to the falls?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/975501527/