Re:HYB:Glaciatas/green pigment

Glaciatas are a fascinating topic. I have put together a slide program on
plicatas, including luminatas and glaciatas. I presented this to the Rochester
group several weeks ago. I have introduced two glaciata SDBs. A white "Eramosa
Snowball" and a green glaciata "Limesicle". As far as I know this is the only
green glaciata in exsistance. Glaciatas are very recessive as they are a
recessive of a recessive. To use their genes properly you need to cross to a
plicata. Crossing to a luminata will usually produce some glaciatas. It
doesn't change the colours of the pigments but is a removal of the violet/blue
pigments, especially the haft markings. Thus the colours remaining are
cleaner. This also shows the green pigment to be in the cell sap, either a
variation on the yellow pigment or chlorophyll, or a combination of
chlorophyll and yellow. I'm currently speculating that it is a variation of
the yellow pigment (Carotenine) rather then a combination involving
chlorophyll or being chlorophyll. The shade of green doesn't look like
chlorophyll to me as it is too much towards the yellow. If it was a mix the
colour wouldn't likely be as even or as smooth as it is. I beleive that I
posted a photo of Limesicle on iris-photos in the spring.
Crossing a glaciata to a non plicata would be like crossing a plicata to a non
plicata, except even worse. You would then have to work very hard at bring
plicata back in and even harder to bring glaciata back in. Even when you
finished you would likely be exactly where you were to start with. An
interesting project would be to get the green glaciata Limesicle, crossed to a
tangerine factor(lypocene) plicata to see what happens to the green when it is
combined with or replaced with tangerine. If it is chlorophyll based then it
would combine to produce a ?darker pink? or a new shade (shades)to work with.