HYB: Pigments 101 -- Final Exam ?

We've dug faster & deeper than I expected with this thread -- which tells me
that we not only have some knowledgeable newcomers but that many who were
here for the last round have been busily researching on their own.

So I'm going to jump ahead and give you the question I'd like everyone who
has participated in this thread to be able to answer by the time we wind up
our discussions of the plastid pigments -- at least in a general sense.
[Those of a more scientific bent should certainly have a better grasp of the
details and I have a second one for them.]

The first question on your "Final Exam" is thus:

A.  In hybridizing tangerine pinks, the t-factor is a widely-accepted,
widely-used model. It certainly has pragmatic value, and we've covered it in
some detail.

B.  In analyzing tangerine pinks, the epistatic model is almost inevitably
invoked.   It has great theoretical value, and we've used it for background
when discussing the relationship between alpha-carotene and lycopene.

Essay Question #1:  Compare the two models, find the point they have in
common, explain why they are complementary rather than contradictory, then
discuss why hybridizers prefer one and scientists the other.  [Many of you
can already do this.  Others may find that the attempt itself raises more
questions.  If so, please post them until "The Boss" says we've taken this
too far!]

Essay Question #2:  Describe scenario(s) in which the epistatic model would
be of use to hybridizers.  What additional question(s) might it answer?
Describe the experiment(s) that could provide the answers. [This is very
open-ended and I certainly don't expect everyone to tackle it.]

Sharon McAllister

eGroups eLerts