HYB: IBs

Keith Keppel made another point in his recent letter that I don't
remember being discussed before on this site, or at least not
lately.  Regarding the use of IBs in a hybridizing program, he cited
an article in a recent issue of The Medianite, the newsletter of the
Median Iris Society, which discussed such use, since more and more
IBs were showing fertility.

"A problem with using intermediates (even IF fertile) is that many of
the offspring seem to go every-which-way insofar as proportion is
concerned.  That is, you may get large flowers on thin stalks, small
flowers on tall stalks, etc. etc.  Not an insurmountable problem, but
more of a challenge to get the "right" combinations when you have to
try harder to get seed in the first place." --KK

Seemed obvious once he'd said it, but I confess to never having
really thought about that factor when hoping to cross some of the
great pink SDBs with blue beards with TBs without, to get an IB that
could then be crossed back or forward to get the desired similar TB.
I think some others mentioning wanting to use that technique too, so
thought I'd pass it on.

Patricia Brooks
scheming to breed pink TBs with beards other than tangerine.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/975542009/