HYB: color

In a message dated 11/30/00 5:14:14 AM Mountain Standard Time, lmann@icx.net

<<  I tried to pick out some photos from catalogs that match
 what I think the color names mean, and quickly figured out that won't
 work either. >>

Ahhhhh......    But the question is not what WE think the color names mean --
it's what the hybridizers of the time thought each name meant.

By adding registration data to the mix, it's certainly possible to come up
with useful examples.  To take a very simple one:

WEST COAST (Knopf, '68) was registered as a cadmium orange (8/1) self.  This
corresponds to RHS 23B, from the yellow-orange group.  I compared that chip
to a photo in Cooley's catalog and found it to be a very close match.  [If
you've ever compared catalog photos with real, live flowers you have a feel
for the variation involved in the printing process.]

To my eye, WEST COAST is more yellow than orange and in TWOI it is listed
among the deep golden yellows -- so this exercise certainly helps place the
term "cadmium orange" in a modern perspective.

Sharon McAllister

eGroups eLerts