Re: Re: HYB:Deepening Pink

>From: "Francelle Edwards" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
>To: <iris-talk@egroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB:Deepening Pink
>Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:18:12 -0700
>
>As a recreational pollen dauber, I have been very interested in the
>discussion of hybridizing pinks.  I am still getting aquatinted with terms
>like lycopene and carotene and probably wouldn't know one if I saw it.

       Francelle, you HAVE seen lycopene and carotene if you have
ever seen tomatoes and carrots.  The latin name for tomato is
Lycopersicon esculentum, so you can see the origin of the word
"lycopene" (this pigment is also the red of watermelon and grapefruit).  As
for carotene, I think you've already figured
that out.

---Jim Kulbacki
   Lake Orion, MI (zone 6)

eGroups eLerts