Re: HYB: IBs

In a message dated 11/29/2000 5:54:10 PM Central Standard Time,
patriciabrooks@coupeville.net writes:

>  "A problem with using intermediates (even IF fertile) is that many of
>  the offspring seem to go every-which-way insofar as proportion is
>  concerned.  That is, you may get large flowers on thin stalks, small
>  flowers on tall stalks, etc. etc.  Not an insurmountable problem, but
>  more of a challenge to get the "right" combinations when you have to
>  try harder to get seed in the first place." --KK
I have made a few crosses using IB's and yes KK is right on target. But my
theory was going in that it might take a couple of generations to get
something extraordinarily nice. But I was hoping by doing this I could
possibly get a new pattern. To date I am having very small percentage of the
seed to germinate per amount of seed. This also pertains to the likes of the
ones that we know are fertile. I am finding that most IB's are fertile if you
have patience.

Has anyone gotten a decent growing seedling from the BB "Pixie Prince"? If
you have never seen this iris it's the most gorgeous pink you have ever laid
eyes on bar none. But it's not a grower and so far has passed this trait on
to it's children. I have used the likes of "April In Paris", "Pink Taffeta",
"Vanity" and a seedling of Clifford Benson 66-11. But I am going to continue
until I get something that will grow. One problem is that it's usuallly the
last iris to bloom in my garden. I want to move some of this to an area that
will cause it to bloom a little earlier than normal. Any other ideas?

Jim Loveland, Fenton,MO Zone 5