To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 3:07 PM
Subject: [iris] TB:hort

Hi all,
As I am cleaning out the iris garden for its long winter's nap, I am finding
hundreds of ladybugs. I have heard that this is a good thing-not only for
luck, but for what they eat. They seem to be "hunckered" down between the
fans near the bases of the rhizomes. I have found several patches of greyish
eggs along with a few. Are these eggs of the iris borer that the lady bugs
are feeding on, or might these be ladybug eggs? Also, am I doing a bad theing
for them by trimming back the fans and cleaning all the leaves and stuff out
of the garden? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Greendale, WI
zone 5