re TB:hort

I find these eggs too, and I think they are aphid eggs. I know ladybugs love aphids so maybe that is why they are found near them. I doubt a lady bug would eat a borer egg (ugh!)
I have never seen a picture, much less the actual borer eggs in the iris, although in the spring, I have many borer. I have never heard anyone say they saw such eggs either.
For this reason, I think they are near microscopic in size.
If someone out there has a picture of borer eggs, please let me know, or post it.
As for clean up, there are two schools of thought on this:
Clean out thoroughly in the Fall or in the Spring before the borers hatch.
I always wait until the spring, so that the iris have a little extra protection; also the leaves and foliage hide them somewhat from the deer which like to munch on the leaves.
However, some people say that they iris do not need a mulch cover and do the cleaning in the fall.