Re: HYB: pedigrees [was: form ]

I know of at least two cases where a variety carries genetics that can't
possibly come from the published ancestry.  In both cases the originators were
reliable, honest people.  I asked Keppel about the cases, and he said it was
possible a seedling number had been misread somewhere along the line in the
one case.....who knows?

But in my own seedling beds I've had the same thing happen.  A cross of orchid
X orchid produced the most lovely Whole Cloth seedlings one ever saw.  Either
the tag got mixed up, or got into the wrong seed batch somewhere along the

I, too, take pedigrees with a grain of salt.  We do the best we can, and
sometimes a bee or something else gets involved.

So far I've been lucky about chickens scratching in the seedbed, but I did
have one tag frost-heave out of the ground, then blow some feet away from
where it started.  I've put it back where I THINK it came from...fortunately
the crosses adjacent to each other in this case are so different I am pretty
sure when the seedlings bloom it will be obvious where the break was.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains