From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of
Autmirislvr@aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 4:55 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris]REB:Dodged the bullet again

This morning I rushed to the windows and there lay frost as far as the eye
could see.  I rushed to the iris patch and a fine layer of frost lay over
all
the blooms. Later, I returned to find things in much better shape than I
expected.  Some flowers will be bent out of shape when they bloom, but
little is
totally destroyed.  There are the blooms on one stalk of 1511-2RE.  Strange
because the others right beside it are okay.

We have at least five days at this point with no more frost.  Oh, what fun!

CRUISE TO AUTUMN is showing color on 2 buds.  I'll see it bloom for sure!
Others that have had stalks for quite some time but aren't showing color yet
are
AMANDA ERIN, AGAIN & AGAIN, LIQUID AMBER, DIAMOND BLUSH & PRISCILLA OF
CORINTH!  All new this year so they don't count on the check list!  But they
count
toward my iris enjoyment!

I've seen 30 of the seedlings bloom from the 1812 cross!  1812-26RE has
white
standards, lav falls and yellow beards.  Quite a different look than
1812-15RE. (the bitone lav. one).  All 5 different seedlings from 1701 will
have
blooms open tomorrow.  I'd take a picture BUT they all have some degree of
frost
damage, and I've mauled most of them.

Ah!  Another tiring week!  <bg>

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6