mint control in beds

I've got a serious outbreak of mint in my new iris beds.  I plowed an area
for iris in what was an old garden spot.  At one corner was a small
amount of some kind of mint. I plowed it under along with everything
else in the field.  Later, I plowed the area into terraces.  I planted
bearded iris along the top ridge of the terrace and LA's and Sibs in the
lower areas in between.  I removed all the mint I could during planting.
It looked really good for a while.  Now the mint has came up in a huge
area and is taller than the iris I planted.  Does anyone know of a good
control for this.  There is way too much to be removed by hand, and if
it's this vigorous, I know it'll come back.  I've heard others mentioning
round-up around iris.  I'm weary as these iris were just planted this
summer.  Has anyone used Round-up around beardless iris?  Any help
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Will Warner