Re: REB: HYB: report/rebloom inheritance

Actually, Betty W has had success breeding rebloomers by crossing
"occasional west coast rebloomers" with our tough eastern rebloomers.
So it's more than speculation.  She's been telling me this for years <g>

I've just been slow to absorb what she's been saying because (1) a lot
of the tough eastern rebloomers she has mentioned are repeat bloomers
for her but rarely rebloom at all here, or are too early in spring and
too late in fall (well, most years!) in my frost pocket, and (2) she's
enough farther north from me that climate effects on cultivar
performance can be big, tho certainly not as big as compared to coastal
climates!

Betty also tells me (I think that's what she said - correct me if I'm
off) that it takes rebloom genes on both sides of the family to get
reblooming kids.  So getting rebloom children implies that both parents
can pass that along.

Which I think means that both LOTUS LAND and HAPPENSTANCE carry rebloom
genes (or capacity to produce rebloom in children).  Or maybe neither
could by itself.  It will be interesting to learn if either has
rebloomed anywhere.

I'm off to wait for whooping crane babies following ultralight aircraft
south, help sell sweatshirts to raise money, & hopefully to see some of
the wild adult birds from previous years.

<http://www.operationmigration.org/Field_Journal.html>

<but as Linda
                   Mann and I have both speculated, out-of-season bloom
probably indicates at
                   least some of the genetic package that makes a
rebloomer what it is.>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8