Re: Re: Re: HYB: parents

In a message dated 11/19/2004 3:17:49 PM Central Standard Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

> I always make reciprocals if I can, just in case......

Neil,  I'll continue to make reciprocal crosses when possible.  I have 2
different groups that will bloom this spring from 'near' reciprocal crosses.
(pretty pink x average red 1) and then (average red 2 x pretty pink) Both have
rebloom genetics.
The other is my white line including Silverado and Ghio's Double Dribble.

Would the results from a wide cross like the one I described indicate that
the pod parent contributes more, but, in the case of line breeding where there
are so many common relatives, when the two parents are so much alike there are
fewer differences to be highlighted?

I'll continue planting them separately . . . just in case.  I've got some
interesting things in the planning stage that would be ideal for more pod parent
versus pollen parent investigations!

I wish I knew as much about the genetics part of irises as you do Neil.
Afraid I'm stuck with the equivalent of a kitchen counter science kit!  My rather
large (for me) seedling patch.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
 Reblooming Iris - Home Page