Re: HYB:SEEDS

In a message dated 11/26/2004 10:08:33 AM Central Standard Time,
irisdude@msn.com writes:

> It is time to start planting the seeds

At one time I harvested so many pods that this was a problem. I thought I
would this year, but takes were real low for me.  Don't know if it was the new
location, or the weather, but I don't remember ever having such bad luck.

I plant in mum pots, aiming for 25 seed in each pot.  Last year cross 1812
had about 235 seed and took up 10 pots.  Normally I plant the strongest and save
the rest to see how they grow and take the strongest again.  This year I got
really excited over having so much space and planted everything that was big
enough on the days I transplanted.  Some never grew at all!

I've been concerned about moving the seeds around, possibly burying them,
when I plant the small ones back into the posts.  This year I'm filling one extra
pot per cross and transplanting the small ones back into pots that have no
seed.

I'm getting a few new sprouts from 1812 pots that were held over from this
spring.

Until or unless I get a better percentage of takes in the future, I will
stick to planting everything.  I will make more attempts to produce larger amounts
of seed from individual crosses.  The good ones anyway.  I'm encouraged by my
results with 1812.  I'm also planning to repeat a cross or two where I've had
good results.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
 Reblooming Iris - Home Page