Re: HYB: ? Clarence pedigree?

Patrick, thank you for the reminder about the Spoon articles in the April 1999
Bulletin.  I dug my copy out and reread the article...I'd forgotten it was
there, although I did remember reading it as I perused it again.

The issue of zonal vs luminata is not as unabiguous as one might think if
Chuck Chapman is right about what constitutes a zonal.

For example, Ghio's new TIME ZONE involves Established Powers, Double Dribble,
Silhouette, Go Round, Snowbrook, Handshake sib and Handshake itself (2+ x),
Polar Seas (2+ x), City Lights and Double Dribble again.

The doubling over and repeated seedlings behind several of these named
represents almost entirely plicata and luminata ancestry, over and over, with
a lot of inbreeding.  The flower isn't a plicata, however, nor is it luminata,
but doesn't miss by much.  A cross of Time Zone by Clarence would yield almost
exactly the same results as a luminata crossed with Clarence.  Judging from
the ancestry of Time Zone, I'd tend to think Chapman is right about zonals.
The question of Clarence is another matter.

My guess is that the difference between a zonal and a form of plicata is about
a one gene difference--very, very close.  It would be hard to pin the ancestry
of Clarence on progeny alone if zonals are this close to the plicata

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains.