RE: HYB: zonals

Actually zonals seem to be four sets of lunminata gene.  The article in the 80's was probably Bob Schreiners article speculating that zonals were related to and hinting that he thought they were in the plicata series.

The Luminata paterns we see are actually one luminata gene and three glaciata genes.  Luminata x luminata gives glaciatas and luminatas. (from the master himself, Keith Keppel). Luminata x glaciata gives 50% glaciata and 50% luminata ( Chuck Chapman). Mind you this was on a small cross but I think further data will concur.

If luminata was homozygous then luminata x luminata would be all luminata. Thus logically , based on Keith's results it has to be at least two glaciata genes. Keith feels that the 3 glaciata genes and one luminata gene fits the  known results and historically with the fact that glaciatas were around awhile before luminatas.

Of note zonal x zonal seems to produce all zonals. I have various test crosses that should bloom this year.

Don Spoon thinks Clarence is a luminata. I can see this as possible but I'm not convinced.

Chuck Chapman

Wide zonals such as Clarence seems to be 3 luminata genes and

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.