Re: CULT: Are Liquid Plant Foods such as Miracle-Gro, Peters, etc. Goo...

In a message dated 11/29/04 5:14:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Matbeach1@aol.com writes:

<<  One previous post indicated that iris are voracious feeders; however, I
am
 wondering if I am missing feeding them something between fertilizings [?] I
plan
 to fertilize in the spring, and I fertilized in the fall when I planted. The
 plants look healthy, but I am wondering if I should be doing more?>>

Mike, if you have had a response to this on line I have not seen it. At the
risk of reading to you from the primer, but because I am in your quadrant of
the country, I will step up to the plate and opine that I think winter is an
excellent season to just leave your irises alone.

Your pansies are enjoying being jolted with that high octane fertilizer not
only because they are brought up to relish it, but also because they are now in
their active blooming season, whereas the irises are not.

Irises need their proper nutrients as do all plants, certainly, and those
grown in sandy soils, or for the show bench, often benefit from some additional
fertilizer, even chemical fertilizer, but, generally speaking-- and putting
aside acute situations and questions of individual varieties' thrift-- garden
plants grown lean and mean often prove the hardier plants.

If you are unable to restrain yourself from the irises this winter then go
get some nice ground rock phosphate at the feed store and fling that about. It
is natural and very slow acting in the soil. But, generally speaking, the best
rule is to understand your soil test results--you did get one of those done,
right?-- then feed the soil, not the plants, and that rule holds regardless of
genus.

Do you mind if I quote my buddy C. S. Harrison at you? Writing in 1909 he
said, "We get choice things and want to do the best we can by them and over do
it."

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA