Re: Re: CULT: end of bloom season

The last pockets of non-frozen hold-outs seem to be gone from central NM as
of yesterday.  We had the last Tomato plant up against a house in
Albuquerque, and it was still unfrozen yesterday at noon, but by 4:00PM it
was frozen solid, and the low last night at that house was 15F.  Here at
the botanic garden it was 11F last night, and the last of the annuals and
perennials are pretty much shot now (Hollyhocks were still going strong,
and tomatoes had regrown some since the frost a while back).  As for
reblooming Irises, I don't know why, but this seems to be the worst year I
can remember.  There are plantings of 'Eleanor Roosevelt' all over the
area, and those didn't even rebloom.  'My Low Ho Silver' made a feeble
attempt, but it was too late.

Our climate does interesting things to plants almost every year.  This year
there were Crab Apples, Flowering Quince, Pricklypear, Forsythia, etc.
flowering in October and November (maybe those can be bred for reblooming
too?).

Oh well, maybe next year for the Iris.  I'll try to feed them better next
season (anything would be "better", since they didn't get fed at all this
year).  Catalogs will start arriving fairly soon, that's always almost as
good as seeing the plants in flower.

Dave