Re: HYB: pigments

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pigments
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 07:03:33 -0500

Thanks Robin.

I get confused about I vs recessive "white" (anthocyanin suppression). Somewhere, I got the idea that recessive white expressed as a dosage, so if recessive white is wwww (too lazy to look in TWOI or archives to check notation), all anthocyanin is suppressed, but with smaller dosages, it's just paler in color. So full purple (with no I present) would be WWWW, somewhat lighter Wwww, etc to white (wwww)

Whereas different I dosages express as patterns - Iiii is amoena, IIii is ... rats I forget what I thought...IIII is dead? IIIi is white?

Even though I <know> that oil and water soluble pigment genes are inherited separately, I still keep getting mixed up about the recessive whites for each - I <think> it is more common in pink-yellow-orange lines I'm working with, inc IMM, hence the range of yellows from her. Pale cream, the color of this most recent seedling, to full yellow. My assumption has been that IMM is at least Iiii, and maybe WWww for pink-yellow. But I'm definitely not sure I know what I'm talking about, nor if I do, whether or not my guess is right...

Nearly all of the crosses I've made with IMM have been with pinks (or pink plus pattern), & they have yielded a few whites, but mostly creams & occasional yellow. The one cross I've made with a full purple (iiii & WWWW, if that's the way to say it), gave nearly all full purple seedlings - I think there was one white in the lot, and it was full white, no dilution, plus one reddish neglecta (Robin, seedlings from it X GIR might be blooming size 2009) that was not as dark. IMM X (DUSKY CHALLENGER x GRAPE ICE). This purple cross produced all full purple, from very dark to medium). But there is some dark pigment (those avi thingies) present in the DC kids to confuse things some more.

Not good numbers of seedlings tho, because there weren't too many surviving seedlings from either cross - maybe 6 each.

<Though if the
iris were iiii, then you would not know what the tangerine expression was
because you would have anthocyanin expressed, masking the pink.

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE>
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8